Friday, August 7, 2009

Audio Sensory Awakening Part 4

"a good mixtape to put ya in the right mood"

That lyric has rung true for me since the first time I heard it. Whether it's the Beastie Boys laying down some funky, jazzy rhymes... Dr. Alex Paterson and the long list of Orb collaborators tripping us out, or something new, undiscovered and beautiful... the artists who you can listen to for hours without feeling like it's time for a change are few and far between. Burial is one of these artists. My friend James has been telling me about Burial for a long time and I have just this week discovered what he was talking about. If you, like me, haven't listened to this great UK dubstep producer/remixer yet... I highly recommend you rememdy that situation right now.



Next up, another artist I can listen to for hours... U.N.K.L.E. the British musical team of James Lavelle and Tim Goldsworthy. Originally categorized as trip-hop, the group once included producer DJ Shadow and has employed a variety of guest artists and producers. I became a huge fan of U.N.K.L.E. because of tracks I heard Sasha remix of thiers and then the Boxed Boys over at Global Underground (yes, I own every single original GU compilation up through 32) released 23 with James Lavelle rockin a few U.N.K.L.E. tracks in Barcelona and again with 26, James laid down even more U.N.K.L.E. in Romania. I found a copy of U.N.K.L.E.'s 2nd album 'Never, Never, Land' and listened to it non-stop. Here's something to get your palate wet...

DJ Shadow rockin it live...



Oh, and here's something kool. I found this track recently and instantly thought the vocalist sounded like Richard File (vocals on several U.N.K.L.E. tracks)Midlake - Roscoe (Beyond The Wizard's Sleeve Mix)

You can probably tell by now that I've been on a bit of a progressive/chill kick. Well this next one selection is a little bit of that with a dose of electro synth to nod your head. DigitalFoxglove is a german graphic designer who has teamed up with Freak You on his first release Beasts And Flowers. I think Aleks at discodust said it best, it's full of "epic dreamy soundscapes".

Okay, if this is the first time you've heard of Miike Snow... please let me introduce you. Miike Snow are a Swedish band, who formed in 2007. The band consists of singer/songwriter Andrew Wyatt, and the producing team of Christian Karlsson and Pontus Winnberg, also known as Bloodshy & Avant. 'Animal' has been collectiing a long list of remixers like Treasure Fingers, Fake Blood, Punks Jump Up, and Peter Bjorn and John. But my new favorite is 'Burial'. An awesome song with a really good video too.

Here's the band doin it live @ KCRW


Ooo, here's another newer producer who I am really beginning to like his tunes when they come on my shuffle... Protokol (on BIGSTEREO). And yes, he is from OZ. Anybody got a free ride and a free room in Sydney I can sport for a while? No?

Lastly I will leave you with this uplifting track by Florence and The Machine with remix treatment by Lionheart. Interesting factoid about the group I found on wiki, "Florence and the Machine are managed by Mairead Nash who is one half of the DJ outfit Queens of Noize. Nash decided to manage the group when at one of Nash's club nights an inebriated Welch dragged Nash into the toilets and sang an Etta James song to her."Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)

Thanks for reading!! Keep the volume loud!!

-- P.A.T.T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

mp3 blogs