Saturday, July 4, 2009

Hardkiss


Boo! P.A.T.T. here,

So I want to give everyone a throwback/lil history on myself. One of the hundreds of influences which turned me onto electonic music in the mid ninties was the release of a double-disc CD called 'Delusions Of Grandeur' by Hardkiss. Hardkiss is actually the Hardkiss Brothers: Scott Hardkiss aka God Within, Robbie Hardkiss aka Hawke and Robbie Hardkiss aka Little Wing. 'Delusions Of Grandeur' is a collection of thier singles up to 1995. However, it is also one of the hardest albums for electronica lovers in America to get thier hands on. For some reason, it's still easier to find as an import even though it was produced in San Fransisco. I still have mine, mint condition, hermetically sealed of course after it ripped it into my digital library.

Now that you know what I'm talking about, go listen to it and yes, sometime you must find the time to listen to it all the way through (You can buy it for a cool $100 from http://www.amazon.com/Hardkiss-Delusions-Grandeur-Various-Artists/dp/B000003S6S or they have used ones for $30). In fact, I am doing the same as I write this article. Timeless. At least for the past 14 years. While I'm not sure if my sister still feels the same way, this sounds as beautiful and inspiring to me as it did the first time she showed it to me.

I have never seen all 3 Hardkiss brothers perform, but I did get to see Scott and Robbie in Greenville, SC (can't remember the year 2001? 2002?) at a warehouse rave called The Domain. I brought 3 friends with me on this trip as well as a handheld cassette voice recorder. This recipe resulted in one of the most famous mixtapes my friends and I passed around to each other. Granted, the recording was crap and you could hear the sound warble back and forth as I was dancing in a drug induced craze not really paying much attention to my dubbing. But there was a perfect moment in that recording where Scott Hardkiss was transitioning between 'Beat Box Rocker' by WestBam and the newer remix of 'The Phoenix' by God Within and just as 'Beat Box Rocker' paused for a moment you could hear my friend Melissa ask me "Where did John go?" and then the next drum break dropped. Magic.

These days, Scott is working hard on a new project called 'No More Black And White' along with his debut artist album 'Technicolor Dreamer' http://www.giantstep.net/releases/2364. I can't wait to hear/see this.

Robbie has been delivering a constant stream of remixes since 1993 working with Lords Of Acid, Tenor Fly, and of course Scott Hardkiss. Check out the discog @ http://www.discogs.com/artist/Robbie+Hardkiss

Gavin has a music blog which updates fairly often http://lovewonanother.com/. Which is also the name of his latest album released in 2005 and re-released as 2 remix albums, The Chill Remixes and The Dance Remixes in 2007. Awesome tunes, definitely check it out.

Thanks for taking that journey with me!

-- P.A.T.T.
Dancefloor Commander

No comments:

Post a Comment

mp3 blogs