Friday, June 29, 2012

OM(usic)FG - Black Star




Just the other day, I was complaining to someone that I miss REAL hip-hop and rap. None of the current artists were impressing me, and I honestly felt like it was a bunch of wannabes just trying to make a quick buck.  They only rapped about hos and sh**t, and that doesn't impress me.  What happened to the real lyricists like Tupac, Dr. Dre (please come back), etc.??

THEN, I discovered Black Star. I'm upset I hadn't known about them sooner.  Black Star is made up of 2 hip hop greats, Talib Kweli and Mos Def (now Yasiin Bey).  The duo originally came about in the early 1990s from the underground alternative rap movement.  The helped shape the genre and even released a 1998 album called "Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star."  Each artist went on to have successful solo careers, and gained much recognition.  A second Black Star alubm had been rumored for years, and finally on October 5, 2011, they performed their new single "Fix Up" on the Colbert Report.

Black Star recently played Bonaroo, and I'm completely jealous of anyone who was able to witness this.  Hopefully a new album will follow. These guys know what they're doing.  Talib and Yasiin, keep on keepin' on. I love it.




~Mo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

mp3 blogs