Friday, October 9, 2009

Audio Sensory Awakening Part 10

Go ahead and grab a beverage, this one's gonna take a while.

Back? OK. First up is something that I meant to include in last week's Awakening, along with this anecdote:
Many times I have been asked (as a DJ, but also just as a music collector), "How do you find your music?" Usually I don't have a good answer for the person asking, but I'm going to make an attempt. Back when I was buying strictly vinyl for DJing, it was following a general spider web path of looking for similarities. If I saw a record with the same sleeve (usually indicating the same record label) I'd usually listen to it at least because I know it's usually going to have a similar sound. Artist, remixer, label, genre... these are all clues that DJs follow to find tracks they know they like or find new but similar tracks. Of course, if you don't break out of your box, you'll miss a lot of kool stuff, so you can't always follow that path. I never would have started spinning indie tracks if I was still following the same clues I was 5 years ago.

Which brings me to... a collaboration that I knew I would groove to when I read the filename, enjoy.
You've Got The Love (The xx Remix) - Florence And The Machine (hosted @ rcrdlbl)



I think most people who will be reading this will have heard of Death Cab for Cutie before. And I will even bet that most of those people have heard of Postal Service before. If you're a fan of these two, then you should definitely be a fan of Adam Young. I mean, is it just me or does he sound a lot like Ben Gibbard? Well, like Ben, Adam has been working on a lot of different music projects since at least 2003. His latest solo project, Owl City is definitely taking off.
Firelies - Owl City (hosted @ earmilk)




Here's a cut from my deep house side. Crazy Penis (aka Crazy P for the people who don't know how to say penis) is a UK group who have been layin down funky deep grooves for over a decade. I found them when I was in my "everything Naked Music, Om Records, etc that I can get my hands on" phase. Probably best known for thier Willy Wonka rework There's A Better Place, Crazy P are still going strong with this remix
Township Funk (Crazy Penis) - Mujava (hosted @ electrorash)


Generally I don't include videos for the tracks I post to share here, but there's always a first. Filewile's website doesn't say a whole lot about them, so I had to go to thier myspace to find out that they're from Berne, Switzerland. However they definitely already have supprt from all over the world including Nicolette (British vocalist formerly of Massive Attack fame), New York rapper and now Berlin resident RQM, Rider Shafique, Mr. Melody and Baby Cham. The video isn't my favorite, but it's still kool because this song is a total pimp driving track.
Number One Kid - Filewile



Ladyhawke is just kool. That's my conclusion after visiting her website. The about page is awesome. Plus she's getting remixed by names like Van She, Peaches, Alex Gopher, and Mock & Toof. Yea, I'm sure I'd probably be putty in her hands she talked to me in a New Zealand accent... but I digress. Here are a couple of remixes of her latest release. Even though I'm usually a Classixx fan, I have to say I'm diggin the Swiss remix more on this one. Maybe I've just gotten used to Classixx. hmm.
Magic (Classixx Version) - LadyHawke (hosted @ electrorash)

Magic (Swiss Remix) - LadyHawke (hosted @ electrorash)



I'm not sure what attracted me to this song at first. Most likely it was me still trying to decide if I liked L'Amour La Morgue. When my friend and I were chillin out yesterday and this song's vocal started, we both just looked at each other and without saying a word, both totally agreed that this song rocked. Of course, the original by Editors is nice and dance-popish, but L'Amour La Morgue have made it into an awesome club banger. These L'Amour guys are really starting to impress me. They're french, they wear kool masks... god I'm predictable.
Papillion (L'Amour La Morgue Remix) - Editors (hosted @ bigstereo)



This very moment, there's a big smirk across my face. That smirk is there because I should have known. I just went to Junkie XL's myspace page and the very artist who was on my mind is the first name on his Top Friends list. Why was Pink Floyd on my mind while I was surfing Junkie XL? Well, just listen to his latest release and you'll know why real soon.
Cosmic Rave - Junkie XL (hosted @ rcrdlbl)

OK, it's time for... BNGR ALERT!


Indie BNGR: This one is more of an all out indie rock track than a club track, but I can definitely see any creative DJ find a good place to work it in. The last Presets tracks which found heavy rotation on my tables was very different from this offering. I'm refering of course to the CFCF remix of 'Talk Like That' which was super dreamy and chill. This time, VanShe has taken The Preset's latest single and rocked it out as electro rock heavy as I could ever wish for.
Are You The One? (VanShe Tech NYC Rush Mix) - The Presets (hosted @ earmilk)



MSHUP LCTRO BNGR: Yeah, I said it. Mashup electro banger... you got a problem with that? I didn't think so. It's a match made in electro-indie-pop heaven... MGMT vs. Justice & Simian. Now, click and enjoy!
We Are Your Kids (Tevar Mashup) - MGMT vs. Justice & Simian (hosted @ earmilk)





P.A.T.T.'s Pre-Halloween Picks


As we get closer and closer to what I think is the most popular holiday all year... Halloween, I have come across a few tracks that are either obviously meant for this especially devious celebration, or just have that spooky sound all on thier own. Either way, here are a few tunes from the darker side. The first one is actually a deeper cut from Zero 7's new album - Yeah Ghost. I say deeper cut because Pop Art Blue has been getting a lot of play already because it has the very well-known Zero 7 sound. This track has some eerie processors going on the vocals with the occaisional slow breakbeat that I love.
Ghost Symbol - Zero7 (hosted @ hypemachine)


The Toxic Avenger has been back on the scene with several new releases. He's on a worldwide tour at the moment and Scion is releasing his tracks on an upcoming Sampler EP and IHEARTCOMIX put this latest offering out last month. Can you say "perfect timing?"
Toxic Is Dead (DeltA Remix)- The Toxic Avenger (hosted @ earmilk)



Now, I couldn't lead you up to Halloween without something truely creepy. So I will leave you with this almost tackey horror movie sample filled electro trasher from french producer Sawgood. If you're a fan of Proxy, Feed Me, Toxic Avenger... you'll probably enjoy this one.
We Are A Candyman - Sawgood (hosted @ dsquared)


Thank you my friends as always. Stay happy.
-- P.A.T.T.

Virus Alert Shirt" - don't ask me what it does... it's a "Second Life" item? OMFG!

3 comments:

  1. Cause i get a thousand hugs from ten thousand lightning bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. def. a fan of adam young. loved postal service, death cab, and owl city has some real good sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I really like how ya'll mix indie rock in with the electro. Props for Florence and the Machine. And YES Adam does sound exactly like Ben, almost identical. Like you said, though, they've both been around for awhile. As for the rest, I appreciate the intros to new tunes!

    ReplyDelete

mp3 blogs